Sunday, November 21, 2010

Make your own vanilla extract

I make my own vanilla extra 
its easy
its inexpensive and its real vanilla extract
Today I'm making Christmas gifts
I am going to use 2 glass jars. One is a herb jar and the other had bacon bits in it
I grown my own herbs but friends save me their old glass jars
Buy the cheapest  vodka you can buy
I get the pint size
I buy my vanilla beans in bulk . I have 50 each of the Bourbon vanilla beans and Tahitian vanilla beans
Keep your beans wrapped tight in the refrigerator
You don't want them to dry out 

Next you take your beans and slice them from top to bottom with a sharp kitchen knife


Scrape out the vanilla, place that inside your jars with the vanilla beans
You want to let this sit in a dark place for about 2 months and shake it once in awhile
Now, I already have a huge jar from my own stash already made
I'm going to add that to my bottles
with fresh  beans that I have scraped


As you use it just add more vodka
the beans keep adding the flavor
These just need a label some pretty ribbon and are ready to give as gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment